The place where code runs
Connected to the physical world.
Single Board Computers
|Raspberry Pi Model B+
|Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
|Raspberry Pi 3
|Raspberry Pi Zero
Many more exist...
Why Raspberry Pi exists
“The idea behind a tiny and affordable computer for kids came in 2006, when [the people behind the Pi] became concerned about the year-on-year decline in the numbers and skills levels of students entering Computer Science at University.”
Raspberry Pi Foundation - About
Why is it called Raspberry Pi?
"[W]e wanted a fruit name for nostalgic reasons, and the Pi comes from Python" (the programming language) ~ Liz Upton
Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation
Pieces of Pi
The Pi's in front of you are model B+ or model 2 B
- Connected to 5 watt power supply
- Connected to wired Ethernet
- Running Raspbian OS (Debian Linux) on µSD card
- 40-pin expansion header provides many kinds of I/O ports
- We are going use some of these today!
Pi Board (B+)
Top view of a Raspberry Pi B+
Pi Board (2 B)
Top view of a Raspberry Pi 2 B
- single-threaded, event-driven programming model
- makes it good for low-level programming in many ways
- resource usage is low
- fast, even on a tiny computer
- Wire it up
- Serve it up
- It's alive!
- Authentication and Authorization
- Only trusted users can do allowed things
- Rate limiting and other checking
- Hardware has real-time and real-world constraints
- Color calibration
- Tweak circuit parameters to resemble color scales
- Make it a thing or appliance!
- Connect to an external service or control other things
- Hacking it
- What else can you think of?